I follow A LOT of music education related social media feeds and websites. And like most of you, my list is incredibly long. So I’m going to focus on the websites and feeds that I follow and read consistently. But before I do, make sure you’re following me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, where I share a mix of comics, music ed ideas, resources, cute animals, and my nerdy pursuits (like Dragon Con).
MUSIC EDUCATION BLOGS
- Elizabeth from Organized Chaos Music will probably always be at the top of my list of music education blogs I follow. She has endless lesson ideas and practical advice for general music teachers. I often feel that I learn something new from her every week.
- Music Ed Blogs is the place to go for a variety of music education blogs, spanning pre-K-12. While you’re there, be sure to download our free handbooks.
- As you probably know, I’m a member of the TeachersPayTeachers Music Crew, and we have a fantastic blog filled with practical lesson ideas. You can also find free downloads and resources curated by topic.
- Mama Lisa’s World is a fantastic source for international music and culture. What I love about this site are the readers who write in to tell stories about the songs they sang as children and the meaning attached to them.
SOCIAL MEDIA FEEDS
- The TpT Music Crew is a great bunch of people to follow. What I love about us is that we each bring something unique to our online presence. From middle school choir tips, to piano studios, to high school general music, to Star Trek stuff (me) you’re sure to find a kindred spirit!
- Daria Marmaluk-Hajioannou has a wonderful Instagram feed. Lately, I’ve really been loving all of her DIY instrument ideas!
- The Institute for Composer Diversity is a Twitter feed I enjoy for both celebrating awesome composers and discovering ones I’d not known before.
- Classical MPR has curated playlist for any mood imaginable. If you like Western Art Music, you’re sure to find a playlist to match any mood.
- I’ve been a fan of Musication for a long time now, and it remains one of my favorite channels for Boomwhacker™ and percussion playalongs.
- Robert Amchin has a wealth of videos for elementary music educators. Trust me, you’ll want to add it to your subscriptions.
- If you teach or play ukulele, Will Grove-White is a fun channel that combines ukuleles with noseflutes, kazoos, and great tutorials.
JUST FOR FUN
- Nothing to do with music, but if you’ve been enjoying the alien comics I’ve shared on Instastories, here’s where to find them. Every teacher needs a laugh throughout the day.
- If you haven’t watched the Melodica Men…go…now. You won’t be disappointed.
- If you’re in any kind of leadership position (which you are) and/or you’re a trekkie, then PicardTips is a great feed to follow for daily inspiration. Now if only I could find similar feeds for Michael Burnham and Sylvia Tilly…
I’m certain that I’m forgetting some of my favorite websites and feeds, so please share yours in the comments section. I’d love to know who you’re following!